Animal charity Pet Blood Bank UK is recruiting for the position of Laboratory Manager to join their thriving organisation. The role holder reports to the Clinical Director and manages the day to day activities of the Laboratory and Processing teams based in Loughborough.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
Caring. Pioneering. Real. These are the values Pet Blood Bank UK is built upon. Our values bind us together as a charity and guide everything we do. We expect every team member to know, understand and embody our values, helping to build our reputation as a pioneering, caring and practical charity. Read more about our values.
What you’ll do
- As Laboratory Manager, you will be responsible for all laboratory departmental activities and ensure all laboratory, processing and out of hours distribution duties are carried out
- Responsible for ensuring all tasks relating to multi-species processing, quality control and blood stock managing are completed appropriately by staff in your department
- Manage the Processing and Out of Hours (OOH) staff appropriately to ensure resources are available
- Responsible for blood stock management process to ensure all blood stock is stored correctly and stock control is in place
- Comply with the Principles of Good Manufacturing Practice for all areas within the department
- Responsible for ensuring all blood screening, quarantine and release procedures including concessions and quality control measures are followed and recorded according to SOP
- Produce regular departmental and quality reports
What we need
We’re looking for an experienced manager with a working knowledge of pet/human blood banking and ideally with a veterinary/human blood processing certificate (or equivalent).
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure with competing priorities
- Confidence using all Microsoft Office packages
- A proactive, positive attitude is essential for this role as well as the flexibility to meet business demands
- The ability to emphasise with the pet owning public
- A clean, full driving license
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training, competitive salary and a great team working environment.
This role is full time, working 37.5 hours per week. The working pattern is Monday to Friday 9-5pm with the occasional Sunday (6am – 2pm) where a day off in the week will be given.
To request a full job description, please contact Carolyn Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before applying, please read our Guidance for Candidates. To apply, please click here. Please note, this link takes you to Square Peg HR’s recruitment platform where you’ll be asked to upload Pet Blood Bank’s application form. The application form can be downloaded here and is also available on the recruitment platform.
Square Peg HR is our recruitment partner for this role.