We are recruiting Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Nurses to work at venues across the North East including venues at; Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, and Morpeth.
We are currently recruiting Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Nurses to work at venues across the North East including venues at; Darlington, Durham, Newcastle, and Morpeth. As part of our collection team, these roles involve working at donation sessions where lifesaving blood is collected from dogs. Availability on weekend days is essential. This role is flexible, and the rota is organised by our Regional Coordinator depending upon pre-arranged sessions and team availability. It is not a full-time position; we host approximately four sessions a month across the North East region. Access to your own transport and a willingness to travel is essential, especially for initial training which is likely to be provided outside of the North East region.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
Caring. Pioneering. Real. These are the values Pet Blood Bank UK is built upon. Our values bind us together as a charity and guide everything we do. We expect every team member to know, understand and embody our values, helping to build our reputation as a pioneering, caring and practical charity. Read more about our values.
What you’ll do
- This varies across the roles but as a team you work together to assess donors to ensure they meet the criteria enabling them to donate on the day. Once they pass their pre-screening, the donation room team work together to collect a useable unit of blood, provide post donation care, and above all make the experience a positive one for both the donor and their owner.
- The Vet and a Donor Assistant work in the pre-screen room to carry out the pre donation health checks, reviewing the pre donation questionnaire and asking the owner any required questions. Perform pre-screen blood samples, a basic clinical examination, and preparation of the donation site.
- The Veterinary Nurse and Donor Assistants work in the donation room with the nurses trained by us in the blood collection process allowing them to collect and handle the donation.
- All the team;
- assist with paperwork
- unpack, set up, and repack the kit at each session
- handle our donors during the donation process
- assist with monitoring donors throughout the donation process
- provide lots of treats and positive reinforcement to donors and ensure owners are at ease and thanked for their time
What we need
- Confident and happy to lead a small team at the session
- Good communicators
- Able to ensure the standards and procedures for blood collection are followed (full training given and support available)
- Minimum 2 years qualified
- An interest in phlebotomy and confidence to learn a new skill
- An excellent communicator with strong customer care skills
- Confident working in a small team and the ability to lead/direct those working with you in donation
All team members
- Organised and proactive
- Happy to work in a varied team
- Adaptable, your team and venues may change from session to session
- A full driving licence and access to transport
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training, hourly pay and mileage costs in line with our expenses policy.
For more information, please send a copy of your CV to HR@petbloodbankuk.org with ‘North East Team’ as the subject line.