We are looking for Registered Veterinary Nurses and Donor Assistants to join our South East team! This covers sessions from J10 of the M25 east to the Kent coast.
Award-winning animal charity, Pet Blood Bank UK, is recruiting non-contracted Veterinary Nurses and Donor Assistants to work at venues across the South East. As part of the collection team, these roles involve working at donation sessions where lifesaving blood is collected from dogs. As a Veterinary Nurse you will be trained by us in the phlebotomy technique and blood collection process to obtain units of blood from dogs approved as donors. As a Donor Assistant, you are responsible for helping to run the session, including holding our donors while they give blood, running blood tests, assisting with paperwork, and ultimately making sure the donors have an enjoyable time.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
What you’ll do
- Perform phlebotomy to collect whole blood from approved donors
- Complete paperwork and Excel records
- Help to hold donors and perform tasks other than phlebotomy in both pre-screening and donation areas
- Provide lots of treats and positive reinforcement to donors and ensure owners are at ease and thanked for their time
- Assist the Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Nurse with all donors to ensure health check, donation and post donation tasks are carried out
- Assist with paperwork and running blood tests#Help to hold our donors during the donation process
- Assist with monitoring donors throughout the donation process
- Provide lots of treats and positive reinforcement to donors and ensuring owners are at ease and thanked for their time
What we need
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Minimum 2 years post qualification clinical experience
- Confident to learn new techniques
- Strong attention to detail
- Organised, proactive and enjoys working in a positive team environment
- An excellent communicator with strong customer care skills
- A team player
- Experienced in animal care, ideally with a qualification, and have a love of working with dogs
- This is an ideal role for a Student/Newly Qualified Veterinary Nurse
- Organised and proactive
- Availability on Tuesdays and weekend days (our Tuesday sessions are once every 8 weeks, weekend days will be more frequent as venues grow in the area)
- Able to drive and access their own transport to venues. A number of our sessions are not accessible via public transport, so your own transport is essential.
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training, hourly pay and mileage costs in line with our expenses policy.
For more information, please email HR@petbloodbankuk.org and include “South East Team” in the subject line.