Animal charity Pet Blood Bank UK is recruiting for the position of Veterinary Nurse. Your role is primarily to perform blood collections from our canine donors, whilst working alongside the supervising Veterinary Surgeon and Donor Assistants as part of our Midlands Collection Team. The role is key to ensuring successful donation sessions and providing a positive experience for all our donors and their owners.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
Caring. Pioneering. Real. These are the values Pet Blood Bank UK is built upon. Our values bind us together as a charity and guide everything we do. We expect every team member to know, understand and embody our values, helping to build our reputation as a pioneering, caring and practical charity. Read more about our values.
What you’ll do
- Perform canine sample and whole blood unit collection under direct supervision of the supervising veterinary surgeon
- Ensure donors records are completed correctly and in full both on paper and electronic copies before blood returned for processing
- Ensure owners of donors are fully aware of the blood donation procedure
- Liaise with hosting venues and their staff
- Liaise with all Pet Blood Bank staff, collection team and where appropriate office staff
- Supervise Donor Assistants working with you
- Ensure donors are monitored post donation
- Provide Post Donation communication with owners and where appropriate their vets
- Ensure a positive experience for the Donor owner from start to finish. The Veterinary Nurse should build a rapport and engage positively with all Donor owners, ensuring they feel valued and involved, therefore leaving the Donation Session having had a positive experience.
- Assist with and support training of new team members
What we need
Proactive, people orientated person with great communication skills and who believes that customer service/client care is important. You will be fully trained in the blood collection process and therefore require a positive can-do attitude towards learning a new skill. Communication skills, attention to detail and good computer skills are required.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is a Registered Veterinary Nurse with a minimum 2 years post registration clinical experience.
- Holds a full UK driving licence, has access to own transport and is comfortable driving/travelling with a team (within Pet Blood Bank Vehicles).
- Organised, pro-active and team orientated.
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training, a salary starting from £25,350 (pro rata) excluding travel time, 30 days AL (pro rata), and a great team working environment.
Our Midlands Collection Team work every Tuesday, Thursday and alternating weekends, the expected working pattern over a rolling two week period is therefore
Week 1: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.
Week 2: Tuesday, Thursday.
Start and finish times vary depending upon the location of the host venue but are advised in advance of each shift.
Salary is based on working 130 shifts/year, shift lengths are fixed at 8 hours (overtime is agreed in advance where possible). In addition to the basic salary additional hours are paid for travel time to and from venues from our Loughborough base location.
Additional shifts are offered to cover holidays and sessions within other regional teams on an ad hoc basis.
For more information or to request a full job description, please firstname.lastname@example.org