Update - 5 October 2021: welcoming owners back into donation sessions
We are now beginning to gradually allow owners back into our donation sessions, where the donation venue is able to accommodate this. To facilitate this, we will have certain safety measures in place that we ask you to follow. These mean we can continue to protect our team and the vital blood supply while welcoming you back into our sessions.
If you attend a venue where owners are being invited back in, to come inside you must:
- Carry out a lateral flow test 12-24 hours prior to the session with a negative result
- Wear a face mask and visor which we will provide
- Maintain a one metre social distance from our team members wherever possible
- Use hand sanitiser as instructed by our team
- Follow all instructions given by our team
- Only one owner per dog(s) will be allowed inside and no children are permitted
- Wait in your car until a member of our team comes to collect you
As before, please continue to cancel your appointment with us if:
- You are showing any symptoms
- You have been asked to self-isolate
- Are awaiting the results of a PCR test
Only owners who are happy and able to follow these guidelines will be permitted to come into our donation sessions at this time.
In some instances, it may be the case that your dog manages better without you being present. If this is the case, our team will discuss this with you to decide how to manage future donation sessions. If your dog has only ever donated without you, we are happy to welcome you in so you can see the process and what happens. We can then determine if your dog would be best to donate with or without you present. As always, your dog’s welfare is our absolute priority.
To protect you, we currently have the following measures in place for our sessions:
- Please keep your appointment if you can. If you are unable to attend, please let us know as soon as possible so we can allocate your appointment to another dog.
- When you arrive, please text us on the number we provide to let us know you are outside. If you are coming into the donation session, a member of our team will come to collect you and your dog when they are ready. If your dog is coming in on their own, the following procedures remain in place:
- When our vet is ready, they will phone you to conduct the first part of the pre-screen assessment of going over your paperwork and your dog’s clinical history.
- If everything is okay with your pre-screen assessment, a member of our team will come outside to escort you and your dog from your car. We will ask you to walk (socially distanced) with us and your dog to the venue or mobile unit entrance, where we will then take your dog into the venue while you stay outside. Likewise, when the donation is finished, we will ask you to meet us at the entrance to walk back to your car. Please ensure your dog is wearing a lead and ready to be passed to us when we come out to you. Dogs must be wearing a lead and be under the control of the owner or a member of our team at all times. We fully appreciate and understand that some owners might be uneasy about their dogs taking part in the process themselves. We will give your dog plenty of reassurance and treats, as always, to ensure they are happy. If you are unhappy about your dog coming into the session alone, we ask that you cancel your appointment. You know welfare is at the heart of what we do and if your dog is showing any signs of anxiety, we will bring them back to you straight away.
- All owners are being asked to wear a face covering when attending your appointment, walking with our team, speaking with our team and passing your dog to us. This is so we can protect each other as much as possible. We appreciate that wearing a face covering can be detrimental to the health of some so understand there may be some exceptions to this, but please do wear one if you are able to
- Please minimise the amount of people coming with you to the session. Unless you need help with your dog(s), we advise you to come alone where possible.
- All areas will be disinfected and cleaned, including door handles, between each donor.
We would like to thank you for your support at this time and are grateful to everyone who continues to attend their appointments.
If you have any questions, please call us on 01509 232 222.