As veterinary medicine develops, we believe that webinars are a valuable and important tool in helping educate the profession.
In line with our charitable aims, we will be producing a series of webinars for veterinary professionals which share our current knowledge of transfusion medicine and advancements within the field.
Specialist transfusion webinars
- Primary Haemostatic Defects, IMTP, and Thrombocytopenia
Date: Thursday 6 August
Speaker: Mark Dunning MA VetMB PhD CertSAM DipECVIM-CA MRCVS, RCVS Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine, European Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine, Clinical Associate Professor in Small Animal Internal Medicine, Head of Internal Medicine at Willows Referral Service
Overview: In patients with haemostatic disorders, it can be difficult to determine whether this is primary or secondary or anything more complicated. This fundamentally impacts both treatment and prognosis. This talk will cover how to approach animals with primary haemostatic disorders and the current options for management in primary care practice, particularly when restrictions such as those imposed by Covid are in place.
Transfusion medicine webinar series for Veterinary Nurses
- How to Prepare for and Monitor a Transfusion
Date: Tuesday 1 September
Speaker: Helen Rooney BSc (Hons) CVN, Cert Ed, Dip AVN (Medical), Cert VNECC, RVN, Training and Induction Manager, Pet Blood Bank UK
Overview: In this webinar, primarily aimed at veterinary nurses, Helen will explain how to prepare the recipient and blood product ready for a transfusion and how to monitor the recipient during the transfusion.
Later webinars in this series will cover:
- Available blood products and their uses
A second series for nurses later in the year will cover similar topics in feline transfusion medicine.
After each webinar, we will release the recording on our website so if you missed it at the time, you can still access the training.
Watch now webinars
- Coagulation Disorders and Plasma Transfusions - delivered by Fergus Allerton, European Veterinary Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- This webinar covers disorders of secondary haemostasis. You will find out about the clotting cascade, which clotting factors are important and how can we measure any deficiency. Treatment of acquired and congenital coagulation disorders including the use of blood products are also covered.
- Pre-Transfusion Recipient Screening - delivered by Ludivine Boiron, American Specialist in Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- The use of blood transfusions in veterinary practice has increased dramatically in recent years. Providing safe and effective transfusion therapy is essential. Acute haemolytic transfusion reactions due to blood group incompatibilities between recipient and donor are serious complications, but are mostly avoidable when transfusing dog and cat blood typed and cross matched blood. During this presentation, we review the different blood types of these two species, the ones we all know but also those which were discovered recently and will describe the utility and application of different techniques of blood typing and cross matching.
- Canine Blood Types and Pre-transfusion Compatibility Testing - delivered by Helen Rooney, Training and Induction Manager at Pet Blood Bank UK
- This webinar is aimed at vet nurses and covers canine blood types; discussing the clinically significant blood types, their interaction with the immune system, and how this is considered practically with our pre-transfusion compatibility testing to maximise patient safety and the efficacy of the transfusion.
- Diagnostic Approach and Management of Common Canine Coagulopathies - delivered by Monica Augusto, Lecturer in Small Animal Medicine - University College Dublin, Ireland
- In this webinar, Monica will cover the diagnostic approach to common canine coagulopathies seen in practice, what treatment options are available and when it would be appropriate to administer a blood product and what blood product can be considered.
- An Introduction to Feline Transfusion Medicine - delivered by Anna Threlfall, Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine at Davies Veterinary Specialists
- This webinar covers the basics of feline transfusion medicine and provides an update on ‘what’s new in the feline blood world?’ Topics covered include feline blood types, including more recently discovered blood groups and their relevance, when to use certain products i.e. whole blood vs packed cells vs plasma, our current situation, and the future of feline blood banking in the UK.
- Canine Blood Transfusions – selecting the right donor, the right product and when and how to use the products - delivered by Kate Murphy, IDEXX Internal Medicine Consultant and European and RCVS Veterinary Specialist
- In this webinar, Kate takes a detailed look at the process of canine transfusions. It covers everything you need to know based on her considerable experience to support your clinical decision making when considering and administering blood products.
- Immune-mediated Haemolytic Anaemia: from diagnosis to management - delivered by Craig Breheny, Lecturer in Emergency and Critical Care Medicine at Edinburgh University Dick Vet
- In this webinar, Craig takes a detailed look at the common presentation of Immune-mediated Haemolytic Anaemia, discussing diagnostics and management.
- The Registered Veterinary Nurse’s Role in Transfusion Medicine - delivered by Charlotte Fennell, Veterinary Nurse at Southfields Veterinary Specialists
- In this webinar, Charlotte discusses the RVN’s role in blood transfusions; from collection and storage to preparation, administration and the monitoring process.
- Transfusion Medicine: where have we come in the last 10 years - delivered by Amanda Boag, Clinical Director of Vets Now
- In this webinar, Amanda will discuss the advancement of transfusion medicine including literature and surrounding research in the field and how they may impact on the care of our patients.
- Camelid Plasma Webinar - delivered by Claire Whitehead, RCVS Recognised Specialist in Camelid Health and Production, and Jenny Walton, Veterinary Supervisor at Pet Blood Bank UK
- In this webinar, Claire and Jenny provide support and education to veterinary professionals on the safe and effective way to collect and use camelid blood.
- Canine Plasma Webinar series - presented by Jenny Walton, Veterinary Supervisor at Pet Blood Bank UK
- This webinar offers practical advice and guidance on plasma, indications for use, storage and administration and explains why each practice should have at least one bag of FP in their freezer.
Access our learning platform by clicking Here
If you have any suggestions for future webinars that you would like to see from PBB, please email email@example.com. We would love to hear from you.