Veterinary Surgeon (North West)
Part-time (working Thursday, Saturday and Sunday) | £26.80/hour
We are recruiting for the position of Veterinary Surgeon. This is an exciting, rewarding, and flexible role working within our North West team at donation sessions. You will ensure all donations are performed in line with our standard operating procedures, maintaining high welfare standards, and positive experiences for all donors and owners. Working as part of our North West team alongside Phlebotomists and Donor Assistants, you will have the opportunity to work at a variety of venues meeting up to 23 potential donors and their owners at each session.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
Caring. Pioneering. Real. These are the values Pet Blood Bank UK is built upon. Our values bind us together as a charity and guide everything we do. We expect every team member to know, understand and embody our values, helping to build our reputation as a pioneering, caring and practical charity. Read more about our values.
What you’ll do
- Overall supervision of blood donation sessions, the collection team, and volunteers
- Physical examination of blood donors
- Ensure owners of donors are fully aware of the blood donation procedure
- Perform donor blood sample collection
- Ensure donor records are completed correctly and in full
- Ensure a positive experience for the donor and owner from start to finish
- Assist with and support the training of new team members and ensure all training records are completed
- Opportunity to attend events to promote Pet Blood Bank and recruit donors
What we need
Are you team orientated, customer focused, and flexible? We’re looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
- Qualified MRCVS with current RCVS registration
- Minimum one year post-graduation small animal clinical experience
- Ability to problem solve, good organisation skills, and attention to detail
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training and a great team working environment.
The rate of pay is £26.80/hour, VDS cover is provided, and a mileage allowance of 35p/mile is offered for travel to and from venues.
Regular option of additional sessions in neighbouring regions.
The role includes working one weekend day ad hoc with occasional cover for a Tuesday. Sessions are available across the North West: current areas include Manchester, Huddersfield, St Helens, Kendal, Preston, North Cumbria, Lancaster. Sessions are 8 hours in length and flexibility is essential as start and finish times will be dependent upon the travel time to and from the venues. Own transport is required to get to venues, please note not all are accessible by public transport.
For more information, please email Katie.Douglas@petbloodbankuk.org.