Part-time | £18,951 basic salary
Animal charity Pet Blood Bank UK is recruiting for the position of Veterinary Surgeon. This is an exciting and rewarding part-time role working with our Loughborough based Collection Team at donation sessions across the Midlands. You will ensure all donations are performed in line with our standard operating procedures, maintaining high welfare standards and positive experiences for all donors and owners. Working as part of our core team alongside two RVN Phlebotomists and two Donor Assistants, you will have the opportunity to work at a variety of venues meeting up to 25 potential donors and their owners at each session.
Launched in 2007, Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity that provides a blood bank service for all vets across the UK. As part of our charitable remit, our aim is to advance animal health and welfare and to relieve suffering by providing quick and convenient access to blood. Every unit of blood helps save up to four other lives, saving thousands of lives every year.
Caring. Pioneering. Real. These are the values Pet Blood Bank UK is built upon. Our values bind us together as a charity and guide everything we do. We expect every team member to know, understand and embody our values, helping to build our reputation as a pioneering, caring and practical charity. Read more about our values.
What you’ll do
- Overall supervision of blood donation sessions, the collection team, and volunteers
- Physical examination of blood donors
- Ensure owners of donors are fully aware of the blood donation procedure
- Perform donor blood sample and whole blood unit collection
- Ensure donor records are completed correctly and in full
- Ensure a positive experience for the donor and owner from start to finish
- Assist with and support the training of new team members and ensure all training records are completed
- Attend events to promote Pet Blood Bank and recruit donors
What we need
Are you team orientated, customer focused and flexible? We’re looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
- Qualified MRCVS with current RCVS registration
- Minimum 2 years post-graduation small animal clinical experience
- Full UK driving licence and comfortable driving different vehicles with passengers
- Ability to problem solve, good organisation skills, and attention to detail
- Confident using Microsoft Office
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training and a great team working environment.
Basic salary £18,951 per annum, additional hours and travel time paid at an hourly rate of £26.92 per hour.
Regular option of additional sessions.
30 days holiday pro rata.
The role includes working a minimum of 88 donation sessions per annum, these sessions will be on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s following our rota, additional alternating weekend sessions are available and can be discussed at interview. Sessions are 8 hours in length and the basic salary is based on this. Flexibility is essential as start and finish times will be dependent upon additional travel time required to get to and from the venues from Loughborough; this is paid in addition to the annual salary at an hourly rate of £26.92/hr. Travel times range from 15 minutes to 2.5 hours. Due to the flexible start and finish times, it is desirable for applicants to live within a 1 hour drive of Loughborough.
For more information or to request a full job description, please email HR@petbloodbankuk.org.