Cross matching is used to check the compatibility of a donor and recipient's blood.
Although it does not tell us the blood type, it does tell us whether or not there will be a reaction.
Cross matching is a very straightforward yet effective process:
- Simply send a sample of your patient's blood to Idexx Laboratories with the completed cross match request form
- Please contact us to advise that you require the cross matching service and provide details of the recipient (failure to inform us will delay cross matching)
- We will then send aliquots of blood from six donated units of Packed Red Blood Cells (PRBC)
- Idexx Laboratories will cross match your patient's blood with the six donated units and send the results to both PBB and your practice. If we receive the results by 4pm, we will be able to send the requested compatible PRBC on a next day delivery or in urgent cases using our same day service
The cost for us to send aliquots is £13.00 and for Idexx to cross match is £51.70; excluding VAT and delivery.
Delivery costs (ex VAT) vary:
- Next Day (Monday - Thursday) - Before 12 noon – £30.06 (if available in your area)
- Next Day (Monday - Thursday) - Before 10.30am - £34.04
- Next Day (Monday - Thursday) - Before 9am - £40.49
- Next Day Saturday Delivery - £61.00
We can offer same day delivery at approximately £1.19 per mile. Please contact us for a quote.
Delivery prices include packaging of one box containing up to two units of PRBC or two units of plasma.
- Packaging charge per additional box - £8.95
- Additional delivery fee per extra box - £6.62